Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Personal Statement Question # 1

Walking into the room, smells of freshly baked soufflés and the sizzle of steaks and roasted vegetables fill the air. This is what you get almost every day from being in the Prostart program and Culinary club. Being in the Prostart program and Culinary club means that I get to be around other people who have a passion for cooking like I do. I get to be around people who can share ideas and have the same taste and creativity like I do.
Being in the Prostart program means that I am a part of the culinary club because a lot of the students in there, use us as guidance for their cooking projects. We are in there also to get to know them and to cook along with them. Whenever we cook with them, we would also help them to learn other cooking techniques and to help them hone their current cooking ability. Being a junior during this time though, meant that I too had to have help, but from the senior members of the Prostart program. Doing this helped me a lot to learn about cooking and different ingredients.
Along with learning how to cook, I got to compete in the Prostart culinary competitions. Doing this meant that I learned to cook as I went. Our culinary team, the Crouching Tigers Hungry Men, went through trial and error until we finally found out what we were going to make as our 3 course meal. I was in charge of making the dessert. This was the first time I got to show off my creative side. I had an equally big responsibility to be able to pull this dish off. Our team practiced our meal every week and it was a great bonding experience, after doing this, I now know the responsibility I had for the next year, when I become a leader for the team.
Other things that we did were that we catered for the school faculty and for other groups. I got to meet many other people and learn that even just the smallest of things I did for them, they still appreciated my work. We would cater for many people, upwards of 200 people. Getting to know the people that organized these caterings was good networking for me, because since I helped with them, they remember me, and I can ask them for favors in the future.
Being in the Prostart program gives me many opportunities to network and to be able to learn more about cooking and different cooking techniques. Being in culinary club lets me work with others and teach them how to cook to; I get to share my ideas and love for cooking with my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment